Vegas Rottweilers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Forum that welcomes all!

Latest topics

» RE LAUNCH ON FACEBOOK
***KENNEL COUGH*** EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 12:58 pm by loppylou080

» If you are looking for a Rottie pup
***KENNEL COUGH*** EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 1:49 am by FEsrigoHL

» Srigo's Press Your Luck aka Wishious
***KENNEL COUGH*** EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 1:40 am by FEsrigoHL

» tips
***KENNEL COUGH*** EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 10:08 pm by RockyRottweiler

» does your dog like veg?
***KENNEL COUGH*** EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 10:07 pm by RockyRottweiler

» Reinforcement
***KENNEL COUGH*** EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 10:05 pm by RockyRottweiler

» DOG FOOD ALLERGIES
***KENNEL COUGH*** EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 10:03 pm by RockyRottweiler

» BAD FOODS FOR DOGS
***KENNEL COUGH*** EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 10:02 pm by RockyRottweiler

» HOMEMADE DOG BISCUIT RECIPES, TREATS, SUPPLIMENTS
***KENNEL COUGH*** EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 9:59 pm by RockyRottweiler

Social bookmarking

Bookmark and share the address of Vegas Rottweilers on your social bookmarking website

Navigation

Affiliates

5 posters

***KENNEL COUGH***

Jen
    Jen
    TopDog

Female
    Number of posts : 1735
    Registration date : 2008-05-24

***KENNEL COUGH*** Empty ***KENNEL COUGH***

Post by Jen Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:33 pm

"Kennel cough" is a term commonly used to describe the cough caused by inflammation of the windpipe (trachea) and the lower airways in the chest - the bronchi.. Kennel cough can be caused by viruses (eg canine parainfluenza virus), but in the UK it most often occurs due to infection of the airway with a bacterium called Bordatella bronchiseptica. The disease is properly called infectious tracheobronchitis.

The signs are:
    A cough - which sounds like a "honk" and owners often think the dog has something stuck in its throat.
    Occasionally the dog will cough up mucus.
    A discharge down the nose
    Difficulty breathing
    If pneumonia occurs as a complication the disease can even be fatal.
    Kennel cough outbreaks frequently occur when dogs have been kennelled away from home. There they come into contact with dogs carrying the infection, and they spread it around their neighbourhood when they come out.

The infection is transmitted by direct contact with infected dogs and by airborne transmission. The incubation period is 3-10 days (average 6 days) so a dog may not show signs for several days after it has left the kennels. Also, an animal that has picked up the disease in it's home environment may not show any signs until several days after it has entered a kennel environment. If a dog starts coughing once it is in a kennels it should be isolated away from other dogs to prevent transmission. Infected dogs act as carriers and may shed the Bordatella organism for 3-4 months after apparent recovery from the disease.

Fortunately there are vaccines available to protect against kennel cough. Owners should have their dogs protected prior to sending them into a kennel, and reputable kennel owners should insist that all dogs are fully vaccinated against Kennel cough before they are admitted on to the premises.

Vaccines against Bordatella are administered by spraying up the nose, whereas vaccines against viruses (eg parainfluenza virus) are given by injection. It is important to realise that immunity to Bordatella takes 5 days to develop after the vaccine is given and booster vaccines are advised every 6-10 months. For parainfluenza virus two vaccines are needed 3-4 weeks apart and annual boosters are required.

Your veterinarian will advise you about the best vaccination protocol for your dog(s) BUT last minute vaccination is unlikely to protect your dog, and it certainly does not satisfy a kennel owners requirement to only admit fully protected dogs.

THIS INFORMATION WAS TAKEN FROM THE PROVET WEBSITE: http://www.provet.co.uk/petfacts/healthtips/kennelcough.htm
    Maddie
    Maddie
    Pack Member
    Pack Member

Female
    Number of posts : 62
    Registration date : 2008-08-17

***KENNEL COUGH*** Empty Re: ***KENNEL COUGH***

Post by Maddie Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:18 am

I would never vaccinate against KC as I dont like the idea of putting stuff up the dogs nose. My mam did our dogs years ago and they just sneezed it all back out!!!

I have an old fashioned remedy for KC that works a treat. Cough is normally gone in four days at the most using this.

I big dollop of blackcurrant jam
    I big dollop of honey - buy the most exdpensive you can afford, Manuka is the best.
    Mix with a little previously boiled water and allow to cool.
    Then put in 2 drops of teatree essential oil and mix well.

Dogs can have a good couple of spoonfuls for a dose. Repeat dosing up to 6 times a day if necessary. Its safe to give as nothing is dangerous for the dog, no chance of overdosage or anything like that.
    Jen
    Jen
    TopDog

Female

Post by Jen Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:33 am

thankyou very much for your input, im sure people will be very happy to try out your remady!
    minnie
    minnie
    Pack Leader
    Pack Leader

Female
    Number of posts : 438
    Registration date : 2008-06-17

Post by minnie Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:08 pm

just got a reminder for poor george, so will have to wait till i have help this week to take him for his jab and a check up. lol!
    Jen
    Jen
    TopDog

Female

Post by Jen Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:01 am

everyone must remember that if they are going away on holiday and need to kennel their dogs, all should be vaccinated against kennel cough or they will not accept them to board with them and this applies to all kennels and most daycare centres. always check with the kennels you wish to board your dog(s) with as there is a policy and procedures set out to ensure the saftey of all animals in their care and have a minimum vaccination period before the dog can be housed with them. kennel cough is easily spread amongst canines especially when they are in close confinement at the kennels, so make sure you vaccinate your dog(s) before you need to kennel them.
    Maddie
    Maddie
    Pack Member
    Pack Member

Female

Post by Maddie Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:30 pm

Exactly why we dont kennel our dogs!!! We do not give the annual booster or the Kennel Cough jab.
    Jen
    Jen
    TopDog

Female

Post by Jen Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:28 pm

Maddie wrote:Exactly why we dont kennel our dogs!!! We do not give the annual booster or the Kennel Cough jab.

Do you ever look after other peoples dogs in your home maddie?
    Maddie
    Maddie
    Pack Member
    Pack Member

Female

Post by Maddie Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:33 pm

No I dont! And I think I know where you are going with that question! My dogs do not put any other dog at risk just because they are not vacc. In fact, I think you'll find its the other way round. Some jabs which are using MLV's, will actually 'shed' from the dog that has been jabbed and therefore pass on the very diseases you trying to prevent!!!
    loppylou
    loppylou
    Dog Whisperer
    Dog Whisperer

Female
    Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2008-06-15

Post by loppylou Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:37 pm

Do you not think the reason these virus's keep coming back is because some dogs dont have the jab's? Some dogs can carrie certain virus's without showing any symptoms but still pass it on. I myself think jab's should be given to all dogs just the same way as in children before these virus's become more common.
    loppylou
    loppylou
    Dog Whisperer
    Dog Whisperer

Female
    Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2008-06-15

Post by loppylou Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:38 pm

Just for the record i do not believe these jabs need boosters every year, i think this is a con, once you are immmunised that should be for life.
    Jen
    Jen
    TopDog

Female

Post by Jen Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:58 pm

I agree with lou, i think all vaccinations are important as your dogs immune system can recognise the virus and can deal with it, because it has had the help from the vaccination at some point in its life
    RockyRottweiler
    Mans Best Friend
    Mans Best Friend

Number of posts : 22
    Registration date : 2010-12-21

Post by RockyRottweiler Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:31 am

Thank you for the info! I better watch out for this cold. My Rottweiler should always be healthy.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 12:05 am