Vegas Rottweilers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Forum that welcomes all!

Latest topics

» RE LAUNCH ON FACEBOOK
VACCINATIONS EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 12:58 pm by loppylou080

» If you are looking for a Rottie pup
VACCINATIONS EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 1:49 am by FEsrigoHL

» Srigo's Press Your Luck aka Wishious
VACCINATIONS EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 1:40 am by FEsrigoHL

» tips
VACCINATIONS EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 10:08 pm by RockyRottweiler

» does your dog like veg?
VACCINATIONS EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 10:07 pm by RockyRottweiler

» Reinforcement
VACCINATIONS EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 10:05 pm by RockyRottweiler

» DOG FOOD ALLERGIES
VACCINATIONS EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 10:03 pm by RockyRottweiler

» BAD FOODS FOR DOGS
VACCINATIONS EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 10:02 pm by RockyRottweiler

» HOMEMADE DOG BISCUIT RECIPES, TREATS, SUPPLIMENTS
VACCINATIONS EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 9:59 pm by RockyRottweiler

Social bookmarking

Bookmark and share the address of Vegas Rottweilers on your social bookmarking website

Navigation

Affiliates

+2
smudgey-pants
Jen
6 posters

VACCINATIONS

Jen
    Jen
    TopDog

Female
    Number of posts : 1735
    Registration date : 2008-05-24

VACCINATIONS Empty VACCINATIONS

Post by Jen Mon May 26, 2008 5:22 pm

Do you think that all dogs and puppies should have their first initial vaccinations and then a yearly booster?
    is it the vets trying to make more money out of people or do our dogs immune system need to be strengthen by these live vaccinations?
    smudgey-pants
    smudgey-pants
    Pack Member
    Pack Member

Female
    Number of posts : 61

VACCINATIONS Empty Re: VACCINATIONS

Post by smudgey-pants Mon May 26, 2008 5:40 pm

i have a question for ya, when i got smudge (aged 9 months) the previous owner said he had already had all injections and vaccinations, he even gave me smudges vaccination booklet staing the jabs he has had, sounds tickertyboo, until yesturday when i read it properly (as i was sorting out his KC papers) it only states he has has one vaccination, no statement of a booster Shocked
    should i take him for a booster or is it too late confused (as he will be 3 in september this year)

and yea i do think that pups should have there jabs, my mate got a puppy whippet and never got its vaccinations done, aged 2 it had to be put to sleep as it had caught parvo which could have been avoided had it had its vaccinations Sad
    Jen
    Jen
    TopDog

Female

Post by Jen Mon May 26, 2008 5:55 pm

vegas has had both her injections. two stages, but the vaccinations are both the same, both contain the 5 same live viruses!
    its never too late for a dog to have his boosters, just as long after hes had one, he has them every year after.

my mums rescu dog george was about a year old when we got him, he had his first booster vaccination after he was a year old. he hasnt had them every year after the first one he had, but for the past 5/6 years hes had one evey year.

hes never been ill, never caught a disease and has always mingled with dogs. he has his boosters now because hes getting on now at 16 years.
    smudgey-pants
    smudgey-pants
    Pack Member
    Pack Member

Female
    Number of posts : 61

Post by smudgey-pants Mon May 26, 2008 6:37 pm

Jen wrote:vegas has had both her injections. two stages, but the vaccinations are both the same, both contain the 5 same live viruses!
    its never too late for a dog to have his boosters, just as long after hes had one, he has them every year after.

my mums rescu dog george was about a year old when we got him, he had his first booster vaccination after he was a year old. he hasnt had them every year after the first one he had, but for the past 5/6 years hes had one evey year.

hes never been ill, never caught a disease and has always mingled with dogs. he has his boosters now because hes getting on now at 16 years.

or good, i will take him asap for his booster then Smile i would like to be 100% certain that he is in no danger of catching anything Smile put my mind at rest Very Happy
    Jen
    Jen
    TopDog

Female

Post by Jen Mon May 26, 2008 8:33 pm

SMUDGEY I GOT IT WRONG MY MUMS DOG GEORGE IS NOW 18 YEARS OLD NOT 16 YEARS OLD!
    drawn-to-animals
    drawn-to-animals
    Guard Dog
    Guard Dog

Female
    Number of posts : 426
    Registration date : 2008-05-25

Post by drawn-to-animals Mon May 26, 2008 8:45 pm

hi

i think pups should have their first vacs done - but i dont do yearly boosters - none of our dogs past or present have ever had boosters and have never had a problem (touch wood this continues) - theres in intesting report on boosters a link was put on pf about it i will copy it over here - i think its wortha read........
    Jen
    Jen
    TopDog

Female

Post by Jen Mon May 26, 2008 8:49 pm

YEAH THAT WOULD BE GREAT, NO PROBS!
    drawn-to-animals
    drawn-to-animals
    Guard Dog
    Guard Dog

Female
    Number of posts : 426
    Registration date : 2008-05-25

Post by drawn-to-animals Mon May 26, 2008 9:03 pm

hi

heres that link, some of you may have already read it but for those that havent its intersting....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3588457.stm
    Jen
    Jen
    TopDog

Female

Post by Jen Mon May 26, 2008 10:14 pm

thanks very much, i will certainly read it.

my mums dog george had his first booster vaccine when we got him, but only as hes got older does he have his boosters, just because shes worried about his immune system is not as strong as it used to be, weve had him 17 years according to my mum, which makes him about him 18/19 years old! bless him! i was speaking to my mum earlier and she put the phone to his ear and i was talking to him, he was looking for me and he started to get excited. my poor boy!
    Rottsnwings
    Rottsnwings
    Dog Lover
    Dog Lover

Female
    Number of posts : 11
    Registration date : 2008-07-10

Post by Rottsnwings Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:23 pm

My had there first injections and also have there boosters they go in to kennels so have to have them.
    But if they didnt go into kennels i wouldn't get there jabs done as there is something i read that said that the vaccines work for up 3 years
    Maddie
    Maddie
    Pack Member
    Pack Member

Female
    Number of posts : 62
    Registration date : 2008-08-17

Post by Maddie Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:15 pm

I dont vaccinate beyond the 2 puppy jabs. I have never done the boosters and my dogs are perfectly healthy. I believe the cons of vaccinations far outweigh the benefits. This is something I have researched in detail over the last 12 months and I have loads of info on the pros and cons. The yearly boosters are a money spinner for vets and the drug companies.
    Jen
    Jen
    TopDog

Female

Post by Jen Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:07 am

There has been many research programmes into vaccinations for animals and it is believed that the dogs become immune to the vaccinations after 3-4 years! so any vaccinations after this time period are a waste of time as they do not work.
    Do not think though that you do not need to vaccinate your puppies at all. they do benefit from their first vaccinations as this will help to build up their immune systems as well as their mother milk when they are suckling.

PLEASE REMEMBER THOUGH AS WELL THAT IF YOU ARE GOING ON HOLIDAY AND NEED TO KENNEL YOUR DOGS THEN IT IS A REQUIREMENT FOR YOUR DOG TO BE FULLY VACCINATED AND ALSO HAVE THE ADDITIONAL KENNEL COUGH VACCINATION AND YOU WILL NEED A FULLY RECORD OF THIS FROM YOUR VET!!
    Maddie
    Maddie
    Pack Member
    Pack Member

Female
    Number of posts : 62
    Registration date : 2008-08-17

Post by Maddie Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:35 pm

Rottweilers are well known for having a reputation for a compromised immune system. As for the pups, providing the Dam is healthy and feeding them well, the pups will have her immunity for approx 16 weeks after birth. For this reason alone I dont vacc puppies until 16 weeks of age. It is well documented that giving jabs at the young ages of 8-10 weeks can compromise a puppies immune system by putting unnecessary strain on it and cause untold problems.

If anyone wants to find out more info on this themselves please check out Canine Health Concern. I dont have the direct link handy, but if you just google Canine Health Concern it should come up. It is a great site full of very thought-provoking and interseting info.
    RockyRottweiler
    Mans Best Friend
    Mans Best Friend

Number of posts : 22
    Registration date : 2010-12-21

Post by RockyRottweiler Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:38 am

I think it's necessary but I think the vets are also making a money out of it. It beneficial goes both ways. Let's just think its for the Rotties.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content