Vegas Rottweilers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Forum that welcomes all!

Latest topics

» RE LAUNCH ON FACEBOOK
rotties EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 12:58 pm by loppylou080

» If you are looking for a Rottie pup
rotties EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 1:49 am by FEsrigoHL

» Srigo's Press Your Luck aka Wishious
rotties EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 1:40 am by FEsrigoHL

» tips
rotties EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 10:08 pm by RockyRottweiler

» does your dog like veg?
rotties EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 10:07 pm by RockyRottweiler

» Reinforcement
rotties EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 10:05 pm by RockyRottweiler

» DOG FOOD ALLERGIES
rotties EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 10:03 pm by RockyRottweiler

» BAD FOODS FOR DOGS
rotties EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 10:02 pm by RockyRottweiler

» HOMEMADE DOG BISCUIT RECIPES, TREATS, SUPPLIMENTS
rotties EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 9:59 pm by RockyRottweiler

Social bookmarking

Bookmark and share the address of Vegas Rottweilers on your social bookmarking website

Navigation

Affiliates

+3
Maddie
Jen
loppylou
7 posters

rotties

loppylou
    loppylou
    Dog Whisperer
    Dog Whisperer

Female
    Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2008-06-15

rotties Empty rotties

Post by loppylou Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:32 am

i was speaking to my vet today and he said rotties are the most robust dogs on the outside but when they get sick the are the quickest to get serousley ill, rotties shoould get general checkup at least every 6 months from a vet or from a breeder.
    Jen
    Jen
    TopDog

Female
    Number of posts : 1735
    Registration date : 2008-05-24

rotties Empty Re: rotties

Post by Jen Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:45 am

yeah thats true lou, rotties suffer alot more from most common ailments than most other breeds. its the way in which they were bred to make them the way they are today!
    Maddie
    Maddie
    Pack Member
    Pack Member

Female
    Number of posts : 62
    Registration date : 2008-08-17

Post by Maddie Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:57 pm

Eh, I dont think thats true Jen!!! Thats a very broad statement to make!!!

Most of the problems we see in rotts today are connected to genetics, like HD, OCD etc. But we cant blame genetics for everything. And to say its the way in which they were bred to make them the way they are today is wrong!! Rotts are not bred to exageration in any of the breed points, unlike some breeds like the pekinese, Cav's, Bulldogs etc.

A rott is a well-balanced breed in all points, or should be, if it has been bred by peeps who care, and research the pedigree and health of the Sire etc. This is exactly why pet owners shouldnt be breeding unless they do all the research first too. It is mainly the BYB's etc that have caused the problems in the breed. I know there are bad show breeders too, they appear in every breed, but on the whole, most breeders are caring and do research properly first. Pedigrees are important too, how many pet owners or BYB's actually know what the dogs on the pedigree look like?? Or what faults they have, and what they have passed onto their progeny - good and bad? And will it make a line-breeding or an outcross?? Do they even care?? Mostly they dont!!

And finally, a lot of the health problems we see in rotts (and indeed other breeds) could be all but elimated with good nutrition decisions from the birth of the puppy. Good nutrition counts for an awful lot, and bad nutrition has detriemntal effects that carry on through the generations without a doubt.

Sorry if I sound a bit bossy, just wanna put my point across! lol!
    wildheart
    wildheart
    Mans Best Friend
    Mans Best Friend

Female
    Number of posts : 31
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by wildheart Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:37 pm

what aload of tripe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Chicco
    Chicco
    Pack Member
    Pack Member

Female
    Number of posts : 73

Post by Chicco Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:45 pm

ha ha ha ---- and what checkup would a vet give every six months that will diagnose/prevent any oncoming problem.

I know my dogs and the person that is best to monitor my dogs and any changes in them is me.

They only way a checkup every six months could possibly do any good would be a full MRI, x-rays and bloods. Bit expensive I think.

Sorry Jen - think this vet is just after a few more pennies.
    loppylou
    loppylou
    Dog Whisperer
    Dog Whisperer

Female

Post by loppylou Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:17 pm

Chicco wrote:ha ha ha ---- and what checkup would a vet give every six months that will diagnose/prevent any oncoming problem.

I know my dogs and the person that is best to monitor my dogs and any changes in them is me.

They only way a checkup every six months could possibly do any good would be a full MRI, x-rays and bloods. Bit expensive I think.

Sorry Jen - think this vet is just after a few more pennies.

I think you will find at the beginning of this post it was me that mentiond the vet not jen, my vet reccomended this just after Suki died for titch, to make sure there were no problems with him. I agree that the vet cant do a througher check up every 6 months as it would cost a lot but surley a genral check wouldnt do any harm, not all of us on this forum are experts on rottweilers and what is "normal" some of us are still learning and would be reasurred to know are dogs are healthly by someone that knows what there on about, i dont think £20 quid every 6 months is a lot for a general check up either.
    Chicco
    Chicco
    Pack Member
    Pack Member

Female

Post by Chicco Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:21 pm

Yes you are right - loppylou it was you and not Jen that put it.

sorry --- I just get very sceptical about vets sometimes. Our surgery has now been bought out, along with several others in the area, by a large pharmaceutical company, and although I like and trust my vet, I feel absolutely certain that they are conditioned to try and get as much money out of us as possible.

I honestly do not think a lot can be learned in a quick 6 monthly consultation.
    Jen
    Jen
    TopDog

Female

Post by Jen Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:02 am

Chicco wrote:Yes you are right - loppylou it was you and not Jen that put it.

sorry --- I just get very sceptical about vets sometimes. Our surgery has now been bought out, along with several others in the area, by a large pharmaceutical company, and although I like and trust my vet, I feel absolutely certain that they are conditioned to try and get as much money out of us as possible.

I honestly do not think a lot can be learned in a quick 6 monthly consultation.

The reccommended health checks ups is 2 a year for all animals, i think this is a substantial amount in the year unless you need to take your dog to the vets for any reason. A consultation at a vets costs from around £10-£20 depending on how big of a slot you have got with your vet. Sure everyone can do a general health check at home but the vets know what they are doing and may find something you may not have seen or may have just by passed! I do however think that general health checks done by your local vet is very beneficial and i do not think it is a money spinner. Like ourselves we go to the doctors, dentists & eye optitions every so often for a check up and it is beneficial for us so why should our animals be treated any differently, especially if you actually care for the well being of your dog(s)
    minnie
    minnie
    Pack Leader
    Pack Leader

Female
    Number of posts : 438
    Registration date : 2008-06-17

Post by minnie Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:13 pm

well sid lou lol!
    minnie
    minnie
    Pack Leader
    Pack Leader

Female

Post by minnie Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:17 pm

true jen we have check ups so why not our pets. im not bothered how much i spend on george as long as he is well and happy. last year i spent nearly 1000 pounds on vet bills and tablets for georges jabs and the problem with his arthritus in his knee, i would gladly pay again. lol!
    Chicco
    Chicco
    Pack Member
    Pack Member

Female

Post by Chicco Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:52 pm

I have never indicated that I am afraid of paying money for the vets - that is irrelevant. I pay what I need to pay. My oldest rescue came in at 9 yrs old. I cannot insure him for less than £50 a month so I do without. He immediately had problems with bone infection in the jaw, and I paid £500 for antibiotics - continuous course for 10 weeks. He now has anti-biotics every month to keep it at bay.
    I have a dog with OCD and disc problems, and although he is insured I cannot claim anything for him because the condition existed when he was on a one year claim per condition insurance. My dogs have all types of supplements including glucosomines etc. and I have travelled for treatment like accupuncture, heat scans etc all costing money. My dogs have absolutely all the best treatment they need.
    I spend way over £1000 per year and have done for years.

My vet consultation is £28, - I wish it was still £10. My vet knows and trusts me well enough that he knows I will find anything wrong with my dog.

I guess though if you haven't had dogs as long as I have then maybe you might miss something, but there really is very little that would escape you if you know your dog.
    Jen
    Jen
    TopDog

Female

Post by Jen Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:01 pm

Alot of people would know if there was something wrong with there dog, but first time dog owners may not know how to do a full health check on their dog and may miss something, may not see the change in behaviour as quickly as most people who have had dogs for years.
    loppylou
    loppylou
    Dog Whisperer
    Dog Whisperer

Female

Post by loppylou Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:21 pm

Iv had Rotties for as long as i can remember but there is nothing like the reasurrance from someone else, i also use the general check-up to make sure my dogs know who the vet is so they are not scared if they have to go for something more seriouse. I take my kids for check-ups at the docs so i dont see any difference in taking the dogs for there's.
    minnie
    minnie
    Pack Leader
    Pack Leader

Female

Post by minnie Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:45 pm

chicco i was not saying that you would not pay for treatment for your animals or travell any distance to do things for your animals.i have had animals all my life and i am willing to do what ever it takes for my animals.my dog at present is a rescue and i have had him seventeen years and due to his problems visits the vets on a regular basis, alot of his problems are old age related.
    Chicco
    Chicco
    Pack Member
    Pack Member

Female

Post by Chicco Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:43 pm

That's ok Minnie.

It would be rare if mine didn't see a vet from year to another anyway - I'm always over there.

Friend of mine with 10 rotties suddenly had a good spell where no dog needed a vet for months ---- the vet ended up ringing her to make sure she hadn't left.
    Maddie
    Maddie
    Pack Member
    Pack Member

Female

Post by Maddie Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:53 am

Wildheart - are you saying my post is a load of tripe?????
    wildheart
    wildheart
    Mans Best Friend
    Mans Best Friend

Female
    Number of posts : 31

Post by wildheart Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:18 pm

i didn't get to read your post maddie, i couldn't get past the 1st 2
    Maddie
    Maddie
    Pack Member
    Pack Member

Female

Post by Maddie Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:27 pm

lol!
    trinel
    Mans Best Friend
    Mans Best Friend

Number of posts : 44
    Registration date : 2008-09-04

Post by trinel Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:55 pm

we all forget that the rottie is a working dog. LOOK BACK study at Lord von der Teck Male 9/6/1914 ADRK 413 one of the first great producers.
    loppylou
    loppylou
    Dog Whisperer
    Dog Whisperer

Female

Post by loppylou Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:12 pm

Well vegas, titch and hooch have been for there check up everything was clear it certainly put my mind at ease.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content