Vegas Rottweilers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Forum that welcomes all!

Latest topics

» RE LAUNCH ON FACEBOOK
breeding from non kc??? - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 12:58 pm by loppylou080

» If you are looking for a Rottie pup
breeding from non kc??? - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 1:49 am by FEsrigoHL

» Srigo's Press Your Luck aka Wishious
breeding from non kc??? - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 1:40 am by FEsrigoHL

» tips
breeding from non kc??? - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 10:08 pm by RockyRottweiler

» does your dog like veg?
breeding from non kc??? - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 10:07 pm by RockyRottweiler

» Reinforcement
breeding from non kc??? - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 10:05 pm by RockyRottweiler

» DOG FOOD ALLERGIES
breeding from non kc??? - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 10:03 pm by RockyRottweiler

» BAD FOODS FOR DOGS
breeding from non kc??? - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 10:02 pm by RockyRottweiler

» HOMEMADE DOG BISCUIT RECIPES, TREATS, SUPPLIMENTS
breeding from non kc??? - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 9:59 pm by RockyRottweiler

Social bookmarking

Bookmark and share the address of Vegas Rottweilers on your social bookmarking website

Navigation

Affiliates

+9
wildheart
Chicco
Maddie
bordercolliepup
jazzanova
loppylou
ben83
Jen
drawn-to-animals
13 posters

breeding from non kc???

Maddie
    Maddie
    Pack Member
    Pack Member

Female
    Number of posts : 62
    Registration date : 2008-08-17

breeding from non kc??? - Page 3 Empty Re: breeding from non kc???

Post by Maddie Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:34 pm

No-one is disputing that family's make good dog owners. I have sold many puppies into family homes that I know would have been refused a rescue. But, the rescues must have some sort of ruling in place, the line must be drawn somewhere. They cant please everyone. Think of all the babies taken into care coz the parents are druggies blah blah and the people who cant adopt a child they would love so much coz of a few rules?? Same situation aint it???

Maybe the people who bought a puppy then threw it away with the trash, could have returned it to the breeder if they'd bought from a decent breeder in the first place.
    bordercolliepup
    bordercolliepup
    Dog Whisperer
    Dog Whisperer

Female
    Number of posts : 709
    Registration date : 2008-05-24

Post by bordercolliepup Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:37 pm

Ok CHICCO

I'M NOT ONE OF THE YOUNGER ONES ON HERE ,I am going on my own experances , no I don't agree with people owning any animal if they are at work all day it's not fair on the dog/cat ect this I would stand by , but if you do read some of the rescue polices it does state that a dog will not go to a family with young children ,, Why they do deserve a chance , I listen to reasons and wise old people when it comes to certain things , because yes it is good to understand certain breeds and what it takes to look after them , the piont is here we was talking about breeding and I am just stating a fact like everyone else about it , there are pros and cons to both sides and to rescue dogs , but there should be something for everyone , I wouldn't hessitate to get my next dog from a rescue when Pepsi has gone , I have 5 kids youngest being 18mths would you stop me from owning a rescue dog what ever breed because I have a young child even though my children have been brought up around a dog and respect them .
    bordercolliepup
    bordercolliepup
    Dog Whisperer
    Dog Whisperer

Female

Post by bordercolliepup Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:40 pm

People shouldn't have kids if they can't look after them as well as they shouldn't have a dog because they can't look after them ,, people that don't care like that to me are awful people ,, Its understanding there rules there for a reason , but its just to me they seem to tarnish alot of people with the same thing , just because some people are bad don't make everyone bad
    Chicco
    Chicco
    Pack Member
    Pack Member

Female
    Number of posts : 73
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Chicco Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:44 pm

I will add that
    when it comes to rescue then yes I am passionate about it, and make no apology for it.
    What I am saying is that most of the dogs coming into rescue come from people who just "breed" without back-up or the ability to put restrictions on other people breeding their dogs.

What's more ---- although we have taken in over 50 this year, it is the other 450 that we had to turn away because there is not the room, even when being told that if we don't take the dog then it will be put to sleep. I know the other rescues are the same.

Then I sure am passionate enough to detest the people who breed these dogs without the back up precautions, and put them into totally unsuitable environments in the first place.

How do you think all the "wrong" type of owners got hold of these dogs to breed with in the first place.

The little foster I have in at the moment was owned by a druggie who was evicted from a block of flats and two months later left his dog in a 4ft x 4ft cabby hole with no food or water. She was covered in scabs and scars from dog bites, and now is having trouble adjusting to trust other dogs at all.

Try working with that sort of thing all the time and tell me you wouldn't feel the same about indiscriminate breeding.
    Chicco
    Chicco
    Pack Member
    Pack Member

Female

Post by Chicco Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:09 pm

I will further add - just to show you what we are up against what I did last Sunday.

A young guy had left his rottie bitch with his aunt in a flat. She turned out to be pregnant. Auntie kept the bitch there and raised the pups.

Young boy comes back - takes the bitch puppies and sells them (one can only wonder who to) and then sold the dam for £70.

The four dog pups - now only 5 weeks old got handreared from then by the auntie and then handed over to us, so there I was doing a 150 mile round trip to sort out these pups.

Rescues cannot be a puppy dumping ground, but at least we will know who these pups are going to and will keep in touch their whole lives. They also will be castrated when old enough.

As for the four bitch puppies and an unspayed bitch adult ---- well there is the next batch heading for rescue.

A good breeder would know where her dogs are down through the generations.
    loppylou
    loppylou
    Dog Whisperer
    Dog Whisperer

Female
    Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2008-06-15

Post by loppylou Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:31 pm

Chicco wrote:I will further add - just to show you what we are up against what I did last Sunday.

A young guy had left his rottie bitch with his aunt in a flat. She turned out to be pregnant. Auntie kept the bitch there and raised the pups.

Young boy comes back - takes the bitch puppies and sells them (one can only wonder who to) and then sold the dam for £70.

The four dog pups - now only 5 weeks old got handreared from then by the auntie and then handed over to us, so there I was doing a 150 mile round trip to sort out these pups.

Rescues cannot be a puppy dumping ground, but at least we will know who these pups are going to and will keep in touch their whole lives. They also will be castrated when old enough.

As for the four bitch puppies and an unspayed bitch adult ---- well there is the next batch heading for rescue.

A good breeder would know where her dogs are down through the generations.

Do you ever get fully KC reg dogs in kennels? Do you ever reunite them with there breeder? Do you agree with breeding, when you see so many dogs in rescue? sorry to be nosey but im interested
    Maddie
    Maddie
    Pack Member
    Pack Member

Female

Post by Maddie Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:28 pm

Of course KC reg rotties come into rescue!!!!! I know of rescue orginasations who have the names and contact details of several breeders who ask that if any dogs come into rescue with any of their dogs on the pedigree, whatever generation, that they are contacted and will take the said dog no problems. I know this, because I am one of them. But unfortunately the majority of KC Reg rotties that come into rescue have been bred by peeps who dont, cant or wont take back their progeny, if they are even contactable.

I can honestly I know where all of the dogs are I have bred, can name them all, name their owners and have contact with every owner bar one, who moved house and didnt tell me.
    Maddie
    Maddie
    Pack Member
    Pack Member

Female

Post by Maddie Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:30 pm

As for breeding litters when rescue is in such a state, it is a good point. We put our breeding program on hold after our lst litter, born July last year. I am planning a mating any day now, but, that is only because I have a waiting list otherwise I wouldnt be doing it.
    loppylou
    loppylou
    Dog Whisperer
    Dog Whisperer

Female

Post by loppylou Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:13 pm

It was only after reading your posts about you rescuing that the thought came to mind, all the dogs in rescue and people on here are arguing about wether its ok to breed kc or non kc, mabey the question should be should we breed at all?
    Maddie
    Maddie
    Pack Member
    Pack Member

Female

Post by Maddie Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:41 pm

Many people havent. The figures have just been released by the KC for registrations and Rottweilers have a 37% drop from last years figures so that shows that sensible breeders are doing the sensible thing. As for the BYB's and pet breeders - thats a different matter altogether!!! Of course, its not a true figure as it only includes Reg dogs, but it is a significant drop, the biggest drop in the Working Group.
    Chicco
    Chicco
    Pack Member
    Pack Member

Female

Post by Chicco Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:47 pm

loppylou wrote:It was only after reading your posts about you rescuing that the thought came to mind, all the dogs in rescue and people on here are arguing about wether its ok to breed kc or non kc, mabey the question should be should we breed at all?

This is a very valid point and a very fair question.

I cannot speak at all for rescue but from my own point of view here.

My opinion is that if you have a good breeder that will most definitely know where her dogs are, and will take them back if ever that was necessary, and that they have done all the requirements that we have discussed ie health checks, studied the lines her dogs are from etc etc, and have a good long waiting list, then I do agree with breeding as there will always be a need for puppies. I myself will want another pup at some time. I have always had one pup brought through and then several rescues.

My biggest reason for this opinion is that if all good breeders stopped breeding in order to alleviate the problem of rescue then the actual rottie stock in the UK would be awful, because the BYB's would still carry on breeding.

The answer lies in not allowing just "anyone" to breed, and having tighter regulations on it, so that everyone breeding a litter has to be a lot more responsible for their dog's offspring.

When we do have good KC dogs in then we do contact the breeder loppylou. We also have a list of breeders who will take their dogs back.
    Jen
    Jen
    TopDog

Female
    Number of posts : 1735

Post by Jen Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:05 am

surely not all kc breeders are listed with rescue centres and im sure that not every single breeder will take one of their litter pups/adults back!

not everyone is as commited to their pups/adult dogs as people make out, some people just breed from their kc's and non kc's just for the money! Not all kc breeders are as respectable as everyone makes out! and im not making judgment on the kc reg breeders on here, im just putting my point across.
    Chicco
    Chicco
    Pack Member
    Pack Member

Female

Post by Chicco Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:52 am

Jen, you are right that not all KC breeders are listed with rescue centres, but if we have any paperwork come in with a dog as we do if registered, then we do approach the breeder.

And this is where the whole system breaks down --- in that ANYONE who breeds a litter should be responsible for that litter -- they are the ones who have deliberately created these little lives, and they should take that responsibility.

Most responsible people are up for having all microchips in the breeders name - as some do. If all dogs had to have this by law then we could always trace the breeder. Indiscriminate breeding is our worst problem in this country. Just look at the amount of staffies that are stuck in rescue kennels up and down the country. It really is so sad.

It's just that I can't understand how anyone who is responsible for bringing a litter into the world can bear to allow this to happen.

I have had 6 foster pups this year alone, and now another litter of 4 that I am involved with. I feel as responsible for the pups as I would if I'd brought them into the world.

As it happens I go this morning down the coast to do my follow-up visit on my little Dora who was with me for about 4-5 weeks.

I wouldn't have it any other way. If ever that family couldn't keep that dog, she comes back to us in rescue whose details are on her microchip.

It's just being responsible, and we desperately need more of it in the dog world.

Surely you can appreciate that
    loppylou
    loppylou
    Dog Whisperer
    Dog Whisperer

Female

Post by loppylou Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:14 pm

There is a thing on at the min by a bunch of school kids trying to make it law to have all dogs microchipped, i think its a great idea as you say if you have the deatails of the breeder you can get in contact with them and perhaps some responsibility could go to them on finding new homes, that way the breeders who arnt as good as the majority still have to make a life long commitment to there litters.
    Maddie
    Maddie
    Pack Member
    Pack Member

Female

Post by Maddie Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:29 pm

As far as breeders taking dogs back, I think the majority of 'show' breeders are responsible and will take the dog back, if for any reason they cant then they will do their utmost to find someone who will take it ASAP. Again, its coming back to BYB's and pet breeders, they are majorily the ones who dont, wont or cant take dogs back.

I believe DNA profiling is the way to go, by this, there is no mistaking who the dog is, its parentage, who the breeder is. It isnt expensive to do and its a permanent record of the dog.
    Chicco
    Chicco
    Pack Member
    Pack Member

Female

Post by Chicco Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:01 pm

loppylou wrote:There is a thing on at the min by a bunch of school kids trying to make it law to have all dogs microchipped, i think its a great idea as you say if you have the deatails of the breeder you can get in contact with them and perhaps some responsibility could go to them on finding new homes, that way the breeders who arnt as good as the majority still have to make a life long commitment to there litters.

Did you mean that "bunch of school kids" as in people who are behaving like a bunch of school kids, or do you mean quite literally a bunch of school kids who are trying to do something about the problem loppylou.

If you really mean the latter then I am interested to know who/where or whatever.
    loppylou
    loppylou
    Dog Whisperer
    Dog Whisperer

Female

Post by loppylou Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:20 pm

litterally a bunch or school kids, it was in the local paper ill route it out and let you know more.
    loppylou
    loppylou
    Dog Whisperer
    Dog Whisperer

Female

Post by loppylou Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:07 pm

Pupils from Thorpe House school in norwich, norfolk are campaning for the microchipping of dogs to be law. They have formed there own club called Speak out for animals (SOFA) log on to www.rspca.org.uk for more deatails.
    Chicco
    Chicco
    Pack Member
    Pack Member

Female

Post by Chicco Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:28 pm

Thanks --- might be worth letting them know that they are appreciated and it is a very noble cause.

Good on em,

Will look it up.
    Jen
    Jen
    TopDog

Female

Post by Jen Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:47 am

I do agree that all dogs should be microchipped back to the breeder, so that any litters they bring into the world have the responsibility to find the dogs new homes if need be and take them back if the dogs end up in rescue centres.

I also commend the young kids for what they are doing, its a very good thing as they are trying to make a difference in the dog world and this will help stop dogs having to stay in the rescue centre to be rehomes, thus making more room for those aniaml in more desperate need!
    bordercolliepup
    bordercolliepup
    Dog Whisperer
    Dog Whisperer

Female

Post by bordercolliepup Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:56 am

I totally agree with this , and I think everyone has a responsibility to make sure thier pets are microchipped , and ever dog that ends up in a rescue center can then be reunited with thier owner and if the dog has been trown out then the owner can be prossicuted or at least has a responsibility to the center and made to pay towards them being in their , this will hopefully deter people from thinking the can abandon their pets , This should be made law and hopefully it will be
    Chicco
    Chicco
    Pack Member
    Pack Member

Female

Post by Chicco Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:20 pm

bordercolliepup wrote:This should be made law and hopefully it will be

I wish bordercolliepup.

But at last on this thread it seems like we are all "singing from the same hymn sheet" so to speak.

I know I get passionate about the overcrowding of rescues and the irresponsible way people seem to just give up an animal so easily, but I spend hours a week dealing with other peoples thoughtlessness, and also an average of £30 a week on petrol.

So you can understand why I feel as I do.
    Jen
    Jen
    TopDog

Female

Post by Jen Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:18 am

I think people who breed for financial gain are just idiots & i think thet they should take full responsibility for their litters even after they are placed in a new home! If that dog doesnt stay with its new family for life and ends up in a rescue centre then the breeder should have to deal with the rehoming of the dog and if not i think there should be a penalty! Making micro-chipping a very good idea for all new litters brought into the world!

I do think it should be made a legal requirement for all people who breed to have their litters micro-chipped as this would solve alot of problems with over crowding in centres and will make it alot easier for the dogs to go back to where they originaly came from (the breeder) & be rehomed and catered for by the breeder!
    bordercolliepup
    bordercolliepup
    Dog Whisperer
    Dog Whisperer

Female

Post by bordercolliepup Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:32 am

It shouldn't just be the breeders responsabilty to make sure their litters are microchipped , because the BYB will not bother their the ones in it for the money , so I also think the new owners regardless of where they got the pup in the first place should , have it done , breeders can prove to the new owners it is done but people that can't then these owners should make sure they do the right thing at the end of the day a dog is for life so chipping you can asure that if it became lost ect they know where to find you , and as for the owners that don't buy kc reg dogs and don't have the opitunity to take the dog back to the breeder then if they need to find the dog a new home they should make sure the new owners take full responsabilty in having the details of the chipping changed ,,This in turn could hopefully stop the amount of dogs in rescues

Regardless of pup or adult dog it should be made law to everyone , if you own a dog chipping should be done
    Chicco
    Chicco
    Pack Member
    Pack Member

Female

Post by Chicco Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:18 am

KC or non KC - the buck has to stop with the people who breed the litter.

Here's an example, in fact two examples.

A friend had a neighbour whose dog had a litter of rottie/husky puppies. She sold them all within two days. Total absolute fact that you would NEVER find nine good homes in two days.
    Another very very good pedigree dog/bitch. Litter didn't sell, and the whole litter were going to come into rescue. The breeder got so frustrated with this she put them in the free ads and sold the lot to whoever came along first to last and turned nobody away.

I would lay a million pounds down that not all of those two litters will stay with their people. So homing irresponsibly in the first place has so much to do with it, and therefore the breeders - KC or non KC must take that responsibility.

If all owners taking dogs to the vets had to disclose the breeders details then it would be a start. So whether the person who bred the dog likes it or not then their details would be on the chip.

I call everyone breeders, but I use the term most loosely with most people who breed.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 4:46 am